Jay Haberman is a Managing Director of Debt Origination within Bridge’s debt platform. Jay has over 25 years of commercial real estate lending experience resulting in billions of dollars of CMBS and balance sheet debt origination.
- Haberman founded and opened the Washington DC office for the group and is responsible for bridge, mezzanine and preferred equity origination activities as well as other due diligence activities for securitized loan purchases
- Prior to joining Bridge, Mr. Haberman was the founder and manager of Morgan Stanley’s CMBS debt origination Washington DC office from 2005 through 2008 and then from 2010 through March 2017.
- During his tenure at Morgan Stanley he was responsible for all aspects of CMBS debt origination including sourcing opportunities, negotiating terms, underwriting, site inspections, committee presentation and extensive assistance on document negotiations.
- Haberman has extensive experience in all property types including office, apartment, self-storage, hotel, retail and industrial secured commercial real estate loans ranging in size from $3 million to $180 million.
- In between stints at Morgan Stanley, Mr. Haberman founded and opened the Washington DC office for A10 Capital, where he was a principal. A10 is a permanent, bridge and mezzanine lender as well as an equity investor in select properties.
- From 1989 through 2004, Mr. Haberman was a commercial real estate lender with General American Life and its subsidiary, Conning Asset Management. General American/Conning was later acquired by MetLife, then Swiss RE and ultimately KeyBank where he ran KeyBank’s Washington DC permanent debt platform. While at these firms he sourced whole loans, worked out problem debt, serviced the loans in the portfolio and assisted in all aspects of portfolio securitization as well as identifying selective purchase and development opportunities. Debt originated during this time included whole loans, floating rate bridge loans, and mezzanine as well as Freddie Mac, FHA and Fannie Mae agency originations.
Mr. Haberman received a BA in Economics from Colorado State University and an MBA from George Mason University. He is past President and CEO of the Greater Washington DC Mortgage Bankers Association and is on the board of directors for the Central Loudoun Basketball League. He earned CCIM and FLMI designations and completed most of the coursework required to become an MAI. Previously Mr. Haberman has held Series 7, 63, Virginia and Florida General Real Estate Appraiser and Virginia Real Estate Sales person licenses.